Enjoy a Belgian menu with these three easy recipes
As a starter we choose the Belgian classic tomate aux crevettes.
Deliciously fresh and rich in flavour!
Ingredients (2 persons):
- 2 coeur de boeuf tomatoes
- 50 gr. mayonnaise
- A few pepper leaves
- 125 gr. peeled prawns
- Half a tablespoon of parsley
- Wash the tomatoes, cut a top off each one and hollow them out a little.
- Mix the shrimps with mayonnaise. Season with pepper and salt. Fill the tomatoes with the prepared shrimp salad. Then put the tops back on.
- Wash the lettuce and divide over a few plates together with the stuffed tomatoes. Season with some parsley.
Mussels and fries as the main course? Just keep it coming!
Easy to make and once again a true Belgian delicacy.
Ingredients (2 persons):
- 2.5 kg mussels
- 1 onion
- Green celery
- 0.5 bunch of parsley
- 400 gr. loose potatoes
- Pepper and salt
- 500 gr. chips
- A jar of mussel sauce
- Wash the potatoes and cut them into thin pieces.
- Fry the fries for a first time in a deep-fat fryer at 160° for five minutes. Let them drain on a piece of kitchen paper. Then fry them a second time at 180° for four minutes.
- Rinse the mussels, remove their beard with a knife.
- Cut the vegetables into chunks.
- Put the mussels and vegetables in a saucepan and season with pepper. Cook the mussels in a closed pot for four minutes until they open.
- Shake the mussels so that the bottom mussels are at the top of the pot. Cook for another four minutes.
- Serve the mussels with fries and mussel sauce.
A light-hearted dessert to finish with? Time for Belgian waffles!
As an extra, we will add some strawberries and vanilla ice cream.
Ingredients (2 persons)
- 1 egg
- 62,5 gr butter
- 125 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 100 ml water
- 6 gr. fresh yeast
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 37,5 gr sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 225 gr flour
- Slice of baking butter
- A box of vanilla ice cream
- 10 strawberries
- Break the eggs, keeping the yolks separate from the whites.
- Melt the butter in a pan. Add milk and water. Heat everything to lukewarm.
- Crumble the yeast and allow it to dissolve in the liquid.
- Beat the egg yolks, salt, sugar, vanilla sugar and flour to a smooth batter.
- Beat the egg whites in a bowl until stiff. Later, mix this gradually into the batter. Then let this rest for half an hour.
- Heat the waffle iron, brush with melted butter and bake the waffles for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with some vanilla ice cream and strawberries.