If you thought International Waffle Day was another American invention, you couldn’t be more wrong. It’s actually Swedish.
Swedes traditionally celebrated the Annunciation (Vårfrudagen) and the start of spring on the 25th March. And they did so with delicious waffles. Over time, Vårfrudagen gradually became ‘Våffledagen’: Waffle Day.
And we all agree waffles are delicious enough to merit their own international day.
So start off your International Waffle Day with a deliciously healthy breakfast.
Oatmeals Waffles with Applepie flavour
Ingredients for 2 persons
- 140g Oatmeal
- 140 ml oat milk or regular milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 apple type Boskoop
- 40g raisins (optional)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 7g cinnamon or speculaas herbs
- Pinch of salt
- A little coconut oil to grease
- Finely grate the apple, put it in the blender with the other ingredients (except the raisins and oil)
- Mix thoroughly, add the chopped raisins, mix in with the dough,
- Let the dough rest for a while while the waffle iron warms up.
- Lightly grease the iron with coconut oil.
- Let your waffles cook for about 5 minutes.
Tips for serving
- Delicious with some wedges of fresh apple and some Greek yogurt
- You can also add other fruits, if you like to have it a little sweeter, sprinkle a little honey over it.